Frugal Upstate's Garden Journal

This is my online Garden Journal. I am tracking not only what I plant and when, but the techniques I try and wether they succeed or fail. Posting here will be much more sporadic than my daily posts over at Frugal Upstate

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

5/2

Well, between yesterday and today I finally mixed up the soil for the new 4X8 raised bed. It took a 3/4 of a large bale of peat moss, 2 big bags of vermiculite and about 8 bags of compost.

I planted 2 cabbage seedlings that were given to my by the neighbor in the original bed. I also filled 3 more flats with soil. I plan to start Kale and the Scarlet Runner beans tomorrow, as well as to use the new nylon string I bought to mark off my square feet in the gardens.

I need to buy more compost to mix up the soil for the 2 "squash" planters and for the window box planters on the deck that the scarlet runner beans will be planted in.

Still to be figured out are homes for the rubarb, asparagus, blueberries and raspberries that I want to plant this year. I am especially anxious for the asparagus and rubarb as they take a few years to really get goint.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:36 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    Note on the blueberries, mine went the way of your Clematis and did NOTHING last year. Unfortunately causing my DH to dig most of them up in the fall with plans to write an angry letter to Johnny's seeds. He must have missed one though, this spring I found one when we were preparing the spot for something new this year; it's doing pretty well. Very strange.

     
  • At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home