Frugal Upstate's Garden Journal

This is my online Garden Journal. I am tracking not only what I plant and when, but the techniques I try and wether they succeed or fail. Posting here will be much more sporadic than my daily posts over at Frugal Upstate

Friday, April 28, 2006

4/28 update

Well, it is Friday.

Last saturday I thinned out all my indoor seedlings. I did prick out and transplant some of the tomatoes, mini bell peppers, zinnias, and basil. They all seem to have survived the shock. Otherwise I either pulled out or cut off the seedlings to leave only 1 per cell, with the exception of the acorn squash. Usually you want to have a few of those per hill anyway, and their stems were so close I was worried that I'd kill them both trying to separate the roots. The petunias planted in the peat pots are up, and I planted some beets in the super small cells yesterday (according to victory garden you can transplant beets.)

Outside, my peas have been up for about 4 days. Some of the actual seeds had swollen and worked their way to the surface, If they sprouted already I left them where they were, if not I sort of reburied them. None of the reburied ones have come up yet.

Also my seedlings for the buttercrunch, turnip greens and a few of the spinach are up outside. The Turnip greens from last fall are growing like gangbusters, but the Kale and Spinach left over aren't doing much of anything.

I dug out about half of the Bleeding heart I want to get rid of in the front bed. They are sitting in little pots to be given away. I'll dig the rest soon, to include some to go down to mom's house, then add some compost/mulch into the bed. I want to try to interplant some cool weather crops in that bed as it is very shaded. Lettuce and some ornamental Kale I think. Then impatiens (store bought) and Nicotania (the ones from my winter sowing exp)

The winter sowing flats are doing fine. The petunias I pricked out are still doing fine. Weirdly enough the Alyssum and Marigolds all seem to have kicked off with the frost the last couple of nights, but everything else is doing fine. I should be able to start planting some of that stuff out.

The Daffodills are all up in the front beds and have been for a couple of weeks. The yellow tulips just came up about 3 days ago, and the red tulips are all just buds at this point. I noticed last night at mom's house down the hill that her red tulips were already out. Our microclimate is a bit cooler so ours are usually about a week behind.

Plans for today. Mix the soil up for the 4X8 bed, the planters, and Princess's personal little garden container.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home