Frugal Upstate's Garden Journal

This is my online Garden Journal. I am tracking not only what I plant and when, but the techniques I try and wether they succeed or fail. Posting here will be much more sporadic than my daily posts over at Frugal Upstate

Friday, April 07, 2006

Starting Seeds 4-6-06

Well, I finally started some seeds. We set up the laundry room with a shop light and table, probably enough for 4 small flats of seedlings to be under.

I used the Ferry Morse Seed Starting mix, firmed down into the containers, then the seeds were laid on top and covered with a fine layer of milled spaghnum peat moss. Per the suggestion in "The Victory Garden" I am bottom watering the pots-they are all sitting in basins of water soaking it up. The first ones sown have been sitting in there for at least a couple of hours and the top isn't damp yet. We'll see how long it takes!

Once they are all damp, I will pop the covers on (I bought little "greenhouse" things from the dollar store) and keep the covers on until some of the seeds germinate. I planted some of them rather heavily because some of the seeds are old. I figured I'd up my chance of germination. . . .

Here is what I planted:

in 2 1/2" cells
Tomatoes-cherry and grand marmande (a beefsteak type)
Peppers-Candlelight (hot/ornamental) Mini Red Bell, Golden Marconi
Jenny Lind Melon (scroll down to "melons")
Ground Cherries (scroll down)
Dwarf Sungold (Teddy Bear) Sunflower
Acorn Squash (Table Queen)
Watermelon (Sugar Baby)
Lilliput Zinnias
Cucumbers (Straight 8, National Pickling)


in 1" cells
Oregano
Extra Curled Dwarf Parsley
Sweet Basil
Long Island Mammoth Dill
Cilantro
Summer Savory

I will put a small blurb down when each one comes up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home