Frugal Upstate's Garden Journal

This is my online Garden Journal. I am tracking not only what I plant and when, but the techniques I try and wether they succeed or fail. Posting here will be much more sporadic than my daily posts over at Frugal Upstate

Friday, April 21, 2006

4/21 Update

OK, on the 19th I transplanted some of the petunias from the winter sowing containers into little individual cells in a "greenhouse" container. They seem to be doing fine, or at least noone has died yet.

Except for the Petunias in the peat pots and a few herbs (parsley, cilantro, oregano) everything else indoors has sprouted. The tomatoes, cukes and winter squash are 2 or 3 inches tall, and probably too crowded. I need to clip off the tops of the ones I am not going to use so that there is only 1 plant per cell. It's hard though, you just got those little seeds to grow and it is hard to kill them off!

Still no luck in finding vermiculite. I have to find some soon so I can get the beds and pots together. We are also still having quite chill evenings, so I can still do some winter sowing. Since I have a good 6 weeks or so until I can plant things out at memorial day, I'm wondering if I should try winter sowing some scarlet runner beans for the planters. I'd start them inside, but I only have the one light and it is pretty much full under there. Maybe I'll try a few just to see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home