Frugal Upstate's Garden Journal

This is my online Garden Journal. I am tracking not only what I plant and when, but the techniques I try and wether they succeed or fail. Posting here will be much more sporadic than my daily posts over at Frugal Upstate

Friday, April 14, 2006

4/14 update

Yesterday I went to Frog Pond Farms and bought:

4 bags mushroom compost
3 bags cow manure compost
1 3.8cuft bale peat moss

total $21

I also bought 9 day lily bulbs, about half were stella d'oro and the others were some pretty pink and purple ones. I know the stella d'oro bloom all summer, not sure about the other two, I'll have to check online. I'm probably going to plant these at the end of the driveway. I'm especially interested in the daylillies ever since I learned the are edible. Pretty and edible-good combo!

I planted the pea seeds I had leftover from last year out in the raised bed garden. I did about 3 feet of super snappy (edible pod) and 3 feet of a mixture of early perfection and little marvel (both of which are shelling peas). I used some legume inoculant I bought for about $2 at the farm supply store down the street. There is plenty left for my beans etc.

My daffodils are starting to bloom out front! I'm lucky that the beds were planted full of daffodils, tulips and crocus when we moved in.

I also cleaned the junk out of the hosta plants on the side of the house. It looks much better now.

Today I'm going to see about planting a few more things in winter sowing containers outside. I know that it isn't winter any more, but since they are basically little greenhouses, it should give some ornamental kale and runner beans a nice start. It is sort of an experiment, so we'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home